Sunday 19 April 2009

i'm knackered

I'm sure I have this yard to thank for part of losing a bit of weight this year.  Even little things like repotting a plant or watering the veggies is better than sitting on my butt.  But man, sometimes I wear myself out!

http://www.alexareynolds.com/garden09/kikuyupile.JPGHere's a pile of that nasty Kikuyu grass I mentioned earlier.  All those long vine-like things are the runners that go zipping about underground, sending up shoots.  This pile is just a fraction of all I've dug up from along the side bed where it's grown under the fence.  And of course I'll have to dig up all the grass (a mix of Kikuyu and normal clumpy grass) in the broad patch between the house and the fence.

http://www.alexareynolds.com/garden09/sideyard3.JPGI made a lot of progress this weekend.  I finished digging up along the fence, measured out the plastic bedding liner and cut it with a hack saw!  You can hardly see the liner in this photo because it's dark green, but not only did I have to dig a long, straight line, but then tuck in the liner, go back with a hand trowel and dig out some more so it could sit evenly.  Then back-fill with dirt, then add a layer of rich manure-y soil.  Yes, I still have a bunch of dirt sitting at the side of the drive way.  I was hoping I'd use more of it for this project but no.  I still have a decent-sized pile of very rich, lovely dirt.  No idea what I'm going to do with the rest of it!

Next weekend I'll dig out some more Kikuyu out of that middle patch.  It looks all brown and dirt in the photo but over 3/4 is filled with dead grass.  I have some weed mat to put down but I also need to buy some step-stones.  In the meantime though I'll reward myself next week by planting the climbers to get them started growing.

2 comments:

Mrs. Phillips said...

Yep, that's the only grass that will grow in TX without constant watering. Our variety here is called St Augustine and it is hated widely. All those runners....

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.