Sunday, 9 January 2011

early figs

As I mentioned a little while back, I decided to try "bagging" my figs to protect the early breba crop from the birds.  For the early crop, they'll happily start into a fig that's only half ripe.  Well, it sort of worked.
I managed to get one fig out of five.  It still wasn't quite as ripe as I'd like, but it was starting to get so big I didn't know if I could get it out of the bag!  The flavour was pretty good nonetheless, so I'm not complaining.

However, the other bags ended up like this.  The birds were not fooled, they just pecked right through the bags.  Others were knocked off the branches.  Unless I think of another scheme for next year, I've pretty much given up on trying to save any of the breba crop!
I'll have to wait for the main crop, which won't come in until the autumn. Oh well, at least I got a taste of a fig, if ever so fleeting.